Tigers game July 2010

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Family drama

So, my family, as most people know, is pretty much the Cleavers. Usually. We definitely have our issues but we all love each other and we are all really close.
My mom and I definitely run into walls when it comes to the fact that I feel like I get treated differently because I don't have children, her grandchildren. She has always doted on Craig's kids and her and my dad are the most amazing grandparents I've ever seen. I would never want that to change. However, I feel like I get left out of things or treated poorly and I honestly think it's because of the kid issue.

Awhile back, my best friends and I were talking about a road trip to Washington DC to visit one of those best friends. We asked to borrow Dad's van and we were shooting for the first or second week of August. Apparently, Craig and crew were still trying to get out west to visit Todd and his family. Our trip to DC has been postponed indefinitely. The trip out west has changed drastically.....

Now, my entire family is going together. Mom and dad are taking care of the plane tickets and they will be gone over a week. My issue? I was never invited. Not even asked if I might be interested or available. In fact, one version is that Craig and Teri both mentioned to mom and dad to invite me and were told they'd take care of it. The answer back to Craig and Teri? "It just didn't work out. She can't go." Are you kidding me? How would you know that if you never asked.

In an effort to be more honest with my parents, mom especially, I told her that I was very hurt that my family is going on vacation without me. The response? "I know. I'm sorry. It just didn't play out that way." Wow. I decided to ask my dad about it as well and it was no different. In fact, he almost seemed surprised that I was so upset.

It's funny how since I'm in a serious relationship, I think sometimes about being somewhere different for holidays or doing something away from my family. At first, it was maybe uncomfortable. After all of this, I think it will be much easier. After all, I've been around for every family function for the last 42 years. I guess it's my turn to live my own life and quite possibly, sometimes separated from my family.

1 comment:

  1. First, I like the new blog layout. Very cute. Though I'm surprised it's not PURPLE!
    Second, wow---putting this all out there...I think it's brave.
    Third-keep on bloggin'
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete